An Out of shape 32,33,34 35 Year Old New Runner's Journey into fitness, running, and road racing (5k, 10k, and beyond).

Current Weather. Click For More WEATHER!

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Wild Fires In Florida

Smoke covered the entire area yesterday. It was like everybody got organized and started bon fires in their backyards. Soot,smoke and filth everywhere..only problem No fires all the crap in the area was coming from GEORGIA!! (a mere 500 miles away). Well at least until about 11:00 when some knucklehead driving down the interstate chucked a cigarette out his window about 3 miles south on I-75 (from Bradenton). Ignited a huge brush fire making the crap in the air even thicker!

Ironically I used to travel that same route everyday a few years back and that's when I was a smoker, it very well could of happened to me as I was guilty of littering the interstate with 100s of butts (I quit smoking close to two years ago).

Needless to say traffic was jammed all day and everyone had headaches and burning eyes to complain about. I'd be interested too know how much the Visine and Motrin sales spiked in the area as I'm sure they had a good sales day.

I woke up this morning and was happy to see the preview to hell had subsided a typical hot sunny FL day. Off to the gym to do a tempo run I had planned 45 minutes but to be honest I'm still learning how to do tempo runs properly and was more then willing to be happy with a 30 minute tempo run (which is what I ran) I peeked at around 7.5 mph (89% HR) and ran the first 3 miles in around 27.25 (9:08). Next time I will increase the intensity up another 5 or 10 minutes as I felt like I got it right this time.

Weights tonight!

1 comment:

M. Tate said...

Wow, sounds like those fires could do a number on the old lungs if you were running outside. Good thing you have access to a gym I guess.