An Out of shape 32,33,34 35 Year Old New Runner's Journey into fitness, running, and road racing (5k, 10k, and beyond).

Current Weather. Click For More WEATHER!

Monday, May 21, 2007

Summer Training

My summer goal is to obtain a much better overall level of fitness. My running skills will certainly serve as the main weapon of choice for the cardio segments of my summer training in fact I am going to follow the "red" plan found in the book Daniel's Running Formula. It involves 4-5 days a week of running based in minutes not miles (although you still end up running well over 20). To handle the strength half of my goal I ordered the Gold's Gym Powerflex this last weekend on eBay. I got it for the low price of $427.00 (with shipping). I'm really excited to start training with this thing as it has all the exercises that I've always felt a good home gym should. You can do pull up (assisted), dips(assisted), and leg lifts. It also comes standard with a upper,middle,lower cable system. Which can be adjusted electronically through a touch pad with 240lbs of available resistance. Around 65 exercises in total can be performed.


I'm not looking to become a body builder or anything like that and I'm tired of hauling my ass to the gym everyday I felt the power flex would be a great alternative.


I'm going to strength train 5 days a week rotating major groups: Lower Body 2 days, Middle Body (abs) 3 days, and Upper Body 3 days. If my legs are not up to it I will drop the lower body portion based on feel.

I'm coming up with a system to work running and strength training into the same week without over training and getting a good benefit of both regimens. I think I have come up with a good schedule that give good quality attention to all disciplines.


Hard work and consistency is a must and as running has taught me knowing when to back off will be essential for making this workout. I'll post exact workouts at a later date.



1 comment:

M. Tate said...

come on. You're being lazy with your blog like me. Get it in gear soldier :)